Friday, October 28, 2011

A Day On The Bay For Alex - S.F. / Sausalito


Song:  Give Me Love

Artist:  George Harrison



We had started our day here at Pier 39 on Fisherman's Wharf.

It is a wonderful collection of attractions and restaurants.

To me...this incorporates all that is good in San Francisco.

The people are as colorful as they are friendly.

It is right on the bay with beautiful views of the...
 Golden Gate Bridge...
Oakland-San Francisco Bay Bridge...
Alcatraz Island...
as well as transportation and tours to or under all of them.






We had something to eat and then walked around and looked at the various sights.


We then took a ferry across the bay to Sausalito.

Sausalito is a quaint little seaside town just North of San Francisco...
just off the northern entrance/exit of the Golden Gate Bridge.

We have been there before and had always enjoyed the atmosphere.
We were going again to do some shopping and to just stroll about.





Alcatraz Island




Our destination...Sausalito.

Hmmm...my wife is right...
I do have a square head!
( I hope she didn't mean I am a blockhead!  :)




On our way up the disembarkment walkway, we had seen
this man on a paddle board...well...paddling.




The view of San Francisco from Sausalito.


We walked to a southern section of Sausalito and stopped at a coffee shop.


Alex at the coffee shop with his Hot Chocolate.





Afterward...we just sat down near the coffee shop
and gazed upon San Francisco from across the bay.
It was nearing dusk...the lights of the city
were starting to twinkle and come to life.

The city of Sausalito is one of those magical spots that simply exudes serenity.

  The sights, sounds and the fresh air of the sea all combine with the very friendly people
(as if anyone could not be happy living in such a beautiful place)...
to make for a destination to just enjoy for the ambiance.

The way the mansions sit on the hillsides with their huge picture windows
taking advantage of such picturesque views....
make it seem to be something out of a fantasy painting.

I feel such comfort here.

It is a place like no other...save one...
the Santa Cruz Pier.

Both locations have always been among my favorite places I have ever been in the world.


We are heading back to the ferry to San Francisco.


Our view as we are leaving Sausalito.

The weather was extremely beautiful.

I have always loved the climate of San Francisco.

The following pictures are of us back at Pier 39.
We went to a very nice Japanese Restaurant.






Alex's choice of dessert...
Mochi Ice Cream.


My wife's choice...
Green Tea Ice Cream.


My choice...
a flourless chocolate cake topped with coconut ice cream.


On the sky walkway to the parking garage...and then on to home.

Alex loved this day...we may be back for one more day before we move.

We had seen a Jet Boat cruise of the bay and an island restaurant
with underwater views of the bay that we wish to experience on our final visit.

After we move...it will not be nearly so easy to visit San Francisco.

It may be many years before we could visit again...
and so...this was our goodbye visit (part I) to our beloved San Francisco.

In a few weeks...our encore visit shall be the final curtain call for quite some time.

I always try to impress upon Alex that living the good life...
being able to live in or near places of great beauty...
is a natural result of doing well in school.

With good grades, come...
 open and almost unlimited opportunities
for professions and places to live.

While I frequently tell him that money is important...
I also tell him to not just live for it, in of itself...
or to live a miserly life for fear of spending...
but to allow it to give him the conditions to live happily.

Money gives freedom from
 negative stress due to...
negative living conditions...
a lack of recreation...
 fear for the future...
 being stuck in a passionless existence.

I always say that...
money is a crystallization of life.

It is the barter of time and effort given for credits earned...
which may then be spent wisely toward a better future.

Being able to visit places of serenity and magic...
at least once in a while...
is one of the benefits of having earned those credits.

I say it is NOT...
money is the root of all evil...
but merely...
the LOVE of money that is.

To love life...
and to pursue passions that shall eventually pay dividends in positive
amounts of money (after expenditures / investments for future / emergencies)...
is one of life's lessons in which he MUST consider and plan for...
if he is ever to have a family of his own.

Although I am not wealthy...
I have enough to provide the means for my family to enjoy the simple pleasures in life...
without sacrificing the safety and security of them.

It is my wish for my son to surpass me in every respect.

By using places of great beauty and serenity...
to feed his drive to strive for better for his life...
I hope to plant the seeds of upward growth in his mind.

This...
combined with proper preparation and planning...
as well as having his starting point from upon my shoulders...
where he may then have a shorter distance to cover to reach the sky...
is how progress is made from generation to generation.

2 comments:

  1. San Francisco (and the surrounding areas including Sausalito) may be my favorite place that I've visited. I'm sure you will miss it, at least a little bit, but will have some interesting new places to explore.

    You have done well for your family. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps I have done well so far...but we have yet to face the most difficult part of the journey. The ones who deserve the most credit though, are my wife and, of course, my son, Alex. They are the ones putting forth the most effort. In comparison...my job is easy.

    Thank you for your well wishes. I must say you also deserve credit for that which you are doing with your family. I say...Kanpai to both of us :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...