Friday, September 23, 2011

Home Schooling - Alex Playing The Flute - Before (3 Months ago) And After (Today)



This is the Before video of Alex in one of his first practice sessions...
about 3 months ago.

It took him a week to just get a steady tone from the flute.

From there...
as he learned a portion of a song...
I would add a little more to it.

I had him start the tone practice on a major pentatonic...
as it is small...and easy to handle.

All of these flutes are from Das...

I put more info on links to finding out more about them
and how to order from Das...
further down this article.

I don't receive any sort of compensation from Das.

I do it because he is a man who puts out high quality
Bamboo Flutes with richly resonant tones...
custom made to order with a quick turnaround...
and all at a very reasonable price.

It is to help out those who want to give their child
a great gift in life...
a love of music...
and Das is a man who can deliver a high quality...
inexpensive tool to help your child
 discover music.


When I started teaching him the song "Sakura"...
a couple of months ago...
I switched him to the Alto double minor Pentatonic.




This is Alex playing Shiroi's version of: "Sakura"
(Alto double minor Pentatonic)

This is his first song.

As Alex is studying for a major test coming in a couple of months...
the priority is on academics.

Everything else is taking a back seat to his studies...
and so I had to scale back all his other activities.

He generally practices music only about 20 minutes a day in total.

I realized that due to time constraints...
teaching him to sight read at this point in time would 
be more an exercise in frustration...
as he doesn't have the time to devote to it.

I decided to teach him to play by ear for now.

Later...
I shall teach him to read music...
and eventually, to transpose music that he hears...
and perhaps later...
to compose.


By teaching him increasingly intricate songs to play...
instead of practicing endless scales...
I hope to ignite a love of playing.

His next song will be a duet...
with me playing in support.

We will have differing parts and we will have to coordinate our playing.

This will teach him the importance of timing and consistency.

We shall, at first...
practice our respective parts separately.

When he can play his lead portion in its entirety...
we will practice together.

This will be the second song for Alex...
and his first duet.

It will also be the fulfillment of one of my dreams...
I had always dreamt of one day playing a duet with my son
(I know..it sounds selfish :).

I have just ordered a couple of more flutes from Das...
they should arrive soon.

They will be the ones in which we shall play our future duets.

Both are Diatonics...
his in the key of G...
mine in the key of C.

I have tried other flute makers in the past...
they were ok
(I only order from Das now)...

however...
they just didn't have that Das sound
(nor his excellent pricing or choice of finishes).

If you are looking for an excellent Bamboo flute...
one that can be custom made...
and has a deep... rich and very resonant sound...
a VERY reasonable price...
and can be shipped anywhere in the world
(check with him for the postal charges)...

Das is your man.

The following is an excerpt from an earlier article...
in it is Das' ordering E-mail and web and Youtube sites.


I custom order all of my flutes in a dark color.

Das can make them in anything from natural coloration to all dark.

I highly recommend Das for his Bamboo Flutes because of his quality
and his pricing.  

(I get no compensation for my recommendation)

The prices are extremely reasonable and the tonal quality
is rich and resonant.

Here is the E-mail ordering address:


There are also 2 web addresses to see more of his products:
(although both are undergoing construction...
you may get ordering information from each)



I advise you to check out Das on Youtube.

You will be treated to rich tones and subtle humor.


Having music in your child's life...
gives him something that can never be taken away.

It is both...
the armor...
the wings...
of the soul.




2 comments:

  1. Wow, Alex has made great progress in 3 months! I can't wait for your duet. I'm sure it will be very special for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Both, he, and I, are looking forward to playing a song together.

    It may take a while...but it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...