Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Home Schooling - Memorable Events In Life


Song:  Time In A Bottle

Artist:  Jim Croce


Besides living your life well...

envisioning...
engineering...
and steadily walking the correct path
to self actualization...

it is in being able to give these
principles to living life well to others
that lead to a full life for all involved...
and of the beauty of the adventure on that path.

There is, of course, nothing profound about this.

It is basic common sense.

We, however, sometimes forget the important things
in life as we let the day to day operations occlude... 
and sometimes override, our overall goal.

As we grow from childhood...
everyday memories get lost in the jumble
of repeated experiences.

It is the anomalies in life that are remembered...
and those of special connections with others...
things that are so special that they stand out.


My memories of my Father 
(died in Feb 2011)
(young Alex in picture)

consist mostly of when I was still very young.

(His death prompted me to write three subsequent articles)

Dealing With Grief

Concept Of Mortality

Concept Of Sorrow

He had worked many hours to provide for his family.

I never realized how hard he had worked to keep us
without need...
until I started working.

Of course, as he never complained about working hard...
it had never stood out in my mind.

It was those special times when I was young...
the picnics and camping trips...
of him buying me something that I had
particularly wanted when I was 2 yrs. old
(I had wanted...more than anything...this blue toy car)...
of the decorated Christmas tree with the stocking stuffers
hanging on it every Christmas...
of when he was teaching me how to throw a baseball
by playing catch in the backyard...
and of when he got kicked out of my Little League game
for booing the ref..
and especially of, his questions and explanations...
of, and to, us, whenever we went to new locations
on family trips...
that I remember so well.

I didn't know it then...
he was explaining fundamental concepts.

I also remember, particularly well, him giving me the freedom
to fully explore his library, to read which ever book I pleased
(a room filled with Science and History books mostly -
not every Father would do so...as he prized them...and I was very young)
and our discussions of them.

My Mother...
was always trying to ensure that we children...
were comfortable and happy.

She hadn't really enjoyed camping so much...
she went because she enjoyed seeing her children
enjoy themselves...
and so she went without complaint.

I remember playing outside and smelling
my mother's cooking...
and running back inside with anticipation
at the feast to come.

She would always cook a lot of food
and took care that it was nutritious and delicious.

I remember her homemade doughnuts and her canned
preserves.  She froze cherries from our trees and
gave them to us as treats throughout the summer.

I remember how she would sacrifice her money
in Monopoly to we children...
selling her properties to give strategic advantage
to whichever of us was behind...
so we wouldn't feel bad.

What I remember most of all...
during all of our trips...
 was their focus, not on the place so much...
as their focus on us, their children.

They got their enjoyment by seeing the wonder
in our faces.  

If we enjoyed it...
they enjoyed it.


Notice how I hadn't put in those times when every family fights...
when words were said in anger...
when tears flowed...
when perceived injustice had occurred.

I weigh people on a scale.
It is the good and bad as a whole.

The important things having been done...
verses the small negative events.

The things that are done in life must take on a weight
far greater than mere words.

Bad things done or said in anger
must be overweighed by the overall good things
done or given as the norm.

Humans are emotional creatures...
just as we sometimes lose our temper...
others do so also.

If we are to expect forgiveness...
we must forgive others.

To have all good wiped out by a negative event
(there are some actions that cannot be allowed to happen...
in general, they are rare and extreme)
is to be living on a constant precipice...
one slip and you fall into a self made crevasse...
one that is unrecoverable.

Each of our memories change us...
to see things in correct perspective allows us
to correctly categorize them into memorable events.

To remember the relatively small negative experiences...
is to taint the good.

To have a collection of bad memories...
is to have had a bitter life.

There are too many good experiences in life
to waste their potential to improve your living it...
by harboring resentment.

There are, of course, negative actions or inactions
that merit cutting the offender out of your life
so they cannot negatively affect it anymore...
just by concentrating on what is good in your life...
allows you to move past the events.


I have been on many Asperger's Forums for a while.
What disturbs me is the amount of discontent
and depression expressed on them.

Too many of them, I feel, concentrate on the negative
experiences in life...
so much so...
as to blind them to the good.

The prime objective in life is to be able to meet
the requirements of providing a means of living
a life well, and with a passion.

To give your child a life of good memories...
one that allows them to live life with a sense of adventure...
one that gives them the knowledge of the possibilities 
of happy times...
ones that stick in their memory...
is to fundamentally change them for the good.

It gives them the motive for leading a good life.

What I remembered most of my childhood was the good times.
What I remember most of all of my Parents...
was their interaction with us.




(Playing Wii Sports...the lazy way  :)

(Taking Alex on field trips)


(Conceptualizing knowledge with him)


My most treasured memories in life are not... 
the places I have seen...
the things I have done...

they are of my interactions with my family.


( A rare grammatical error from Alex...he realized it after showing me)




Alex's memories of us consist of our interactions with him.

Our positive experiences with our children
give them a positive outlook on life.

They see and hear everything we do and say.

If we constantly complain in front of them
about negative experiences in life...
they will look upon life with trepidation...
they will see life in a negative light...
and they, too, will focus on the negatives...
not weighing the good...
they will just see life as a measurement of the bad.

By making each of their outings a magical experience...
by giving them something new to explore...
by giving them underlying concepts to mull over
as they experience their new adventure...
it will then become special...
and so...
memorable.


2 comments:

  1. You are providing so many positive experiences for your son, as your parents did for you. He will have lots of great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And so, I am providing a template for him to follow with his children.

    Correct parenting is the single most important factor in a child's outlook in life. It is not school or his friends. What he learns early in life, stays with him.

    It is when a child doesn't learn from the parents, that bad influences can get hold of him later in life. Parents must be there for him early on.

    You are so right...what my parents did for me...I am doing for my son.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...