Thursday, June 30, 2011

Home Schooling - In Touch With Nature - In Touch With The Soul


Song:  Gymnopedie #1

Composer:  Erik Satie







Alex, and I, went to Calaveras Big Trees for a day trip.

This was his first time in a large forest.

When we got there, the air was filled with the heavenly scent of
Fir and Pine gently mixed with the aroma of a distant campfire...
the silence of the forest interrupted only by the birds in the trees.

Alex had a look of wonderment and excitement in his eyes.

He is standing on a stump of a large tree...he hadn't realized 
it at first.  After I had told him what he was standing on...
his eyes grew big and his mouth gaped in amazement.  


A small stream

We had walked a couple of trails with nary a person in sight.


While walking down one of the trails...we heard
the machine gun rat-tat-tat of a woodpecker.
I told him to listen and tell me which animal
in a forest would make such a sound...
his face brightened and he said "Woodpecker".

I could see his mind working... absorbing the sights and sounds
of his new environment.






As we walked down the trail...he would hurriedly move
to a new sight and want to explore it.



Although the altitude here was mild (4,800 feet)...
it added a wonderful crispness to the air...
that, coupled with the sunlight filtering through the trees...
the new sights, smells, and sounds of the forest...
all gave a surreal...magical effect.

There was a deep sense of solitude and peace.

Alex, and I, walked hand in hand...
and talked of our dreams for the future...
and for the first time I had ever heard him 
mention this very important concept...
he had asked me what the meaning of life is.

Not in the scientific sense...
but in an inner sense....a philosophical sense.

There is nothing like the great beauty of nature...
to bring a person in touch with his soul.


This whole trip was a complete success because of 
that one question.


You see...
my wife, being far more detailed oriented...
specializes in Alex's academic portions of learning.
His academic success is almost totally due to her
efforts in guiding him through the learning process.

I am more of a generalist.
I specialize in conceptual understanding...
and the application of Philosophy, Psychology...
Science and the Arts (both creative and the physical)...
by tying what he experiences, in mind and body...
 to that of the world.

My son specializes in being a bottomless well ...
a person who has a mind deep enough
to gather, endlessly, the wealth of knowledge
all around him.

His whole function is to observe...
to experience...to reflect and ponder...
to conceptualize and apply.

Together, we are a team...
our mortal enemies are...
 ignorance...
immorality...
a stagnate soul.

To get him in touch with the world...
I get him in touch with himself.

It is to this end that I use these means...
physical environments to stimulate the 
mind, body and soul.

We have planned, many more trips...
the high mountains...
the desert...
the beach...
the forests.

Our future trips will include overnight camping
to ensure complete immersion with the environment...
the pure magic of a night with the stars, a campfire, and a loving family
to help guide him on his inward journey.

It is through the experience of the true beauty that unspoiled nature is...
that he may explore the true beauty of his soul...
and so, to see and experience the true beauty of life.

The training of the mind...
through the greatly positive experiences of the world...
leading him to develop Optimism and a lust to explore
life unhindered...unafraid...
is what I consider to be...
an essential Life Skill.


2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Calaveras Big Trees but it looks beautiful, and reminds me of Muir Woods.

    You and your wife make a wonderful team, complementing each other nicely.

    I'm sure that Alex will enjoy camping. I am guessing that there are many great places to camp in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there are a great many places to camp. As I am now retired...we shall be going fairly often. In the next month or so...we shall, at least, camp in the forest and on the beach. Alex is very much looking forward to it...as are we.

    I had actually camped here about 40 years ago (Junior high class trip - 3 days). I still have fond memories of it. I shall now make even better ones as I can now enjoy seeing the joy in my son's eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...