Thursday, April 7, 2011

Like Father - Like Son


Never Ending Story - Limahl


I am not...
 have never been...
will never be...
nearly so intelligent as my son...
Alex.

However...
I see so much of me... in him... in many other respects.

My son, and I, share not only...
 Physical characteristics...
Neurological characteristics...
Emotional characteristics...
Basic thought patterns (except in math)...
that I am constantly entertained just watching him
throughout the day in his activities.

With many of his reactions...
and especially, with his 
present obsessions/compulsions...
I know,  not only what he is thinking (and why)...
I know what he is feeling.

Actually...
my obsessive compulsions
were far worse at his age.




Alex, and I, at about the same age (2nd Grade).


My wife laughs at the similarities in many of our
characteristics.

She also suffers through
 our low frustration tolerance...
easy distractibility...
our tendency to argue seemingly 
valueless points 
(although they just seem that way to her)  :)...
our lack of social grace...
our lack of adequate verbal/action filtering
(we tend to put truth/justice/correctness before feelings)...
our lack of fine motor control
(as depicted below).


Alex's recent drawing (last year)


My recent drawing 

A birthday card for my wife a couple of years ago
(wife's name blanked out).

My wife laughed so hard...
she said I had given her birds' feet for hands.

Yes...I really tried.

I could never draw...
and my son's printing is better than mine
(Thank goodness for keyboards!).


I absolutely LOVE being a father.

My wife is doing such an exceptional job
with our son... Alex.

I shall soon take up more of the Home Schooling
subjects, as I retire in 3 weeks.

I am looking forward to being with him much more 
than is possible now.

He, too, is excited.
I have lain out a partial
schedule of daily subjects and events.


Am I living vicariously through our son, Alex?

I say...
If so (although, I think not)...
so what?

It is the results that matter.


It is my great love of him
that drives me.


It is my sacred duty...
as a father...
to give him all the advantages in life
that I possibly can...
to guide him to make
his dreams a reality...
to allow him to experience life
 in all its greatness and beauty.

Although I am not ashamed
of things I have done in life...
I am ashamed for things I have not.

This is where I shall ensure my son
 greatly surpasses me.

Should I not...
then I fail as a father...

this...

 I shall not fail at.








2 comments:

  1. Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. I am so happy to have discovered your blog. I only had a chance to take a quick look right now, but can see that you present your thoughts with poetic, artistic beauty. Your son does reminds me of mine, and I look forward to reading more about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I am just as glad to have found yours. I shall be visiting often. Your son is like my son when he was his age. Thank you for your comment. I shall be reading more of your articles...and commenting on more...I am sure. See you there.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on this article.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...